Most Active Stories
- Coach Painter in the Final Four of national charity challenge
- Watchdog Group Wants Purdue Fined For Deaths Of Research Animals
- StoryCorps founder Dave Isay reveals his wish at TED2015
- Tobacco Cessation Program For Mothers Provides Immediate Incentive For Long-Term Success
- Purdue Professor Contributes To New Federal Dietary Guidelines
Thu November 1, 2012
Zainab Salbi, Founder Of Women For Women International
Zainab Salbi grew up in Iraq with close ties to Saddam Hussein. Her father was Saddam's personal pilot, causing her family to be victims of psychological abuse by the dictator. When Zainab was living in the United States as a young adult, she was again involved in an abusive relationship. Her understanding of women in extremely harsh conditions eventually led her to start Women for Women International, an organization that provides support to women in war zones worldwide.
Zainab tells Jessica about growing up in the shadow of Saddam Hussein, and how it empowered her to join the fight to help women across the globe, from scratch.