Most Active Stories
- In Redrawn District, Democrats Targeting Mike Delph On His Gay Marriage Stance
- Outlook For Winter In Indiana Unclear
- Tippecanoe County polling locations set for 2014 primary election
- Frankfort Council Slows Mayor's Accelerated Push To Revamp Old Stoney
- Attorney General Proposes New Consumer Protection Laws
Thu November 1, 2012
Zainab Salbi, Founder Of Women For Women International
Zainab Salbi grew up in Iraq with close ties to Saddam Hussein. Her father was Saddam's personal pilot, causing her family to be victims of psychological abuse by the dictator. When Zainab was living in the United States as a young adult, she was again involved in an abusive relationship. Her understanding of women in extremely harsh conditions eventually led her to start Women for Women International, an organization that provides support to women in war zones worldwide.
Zainab tells Jessica about growing up in the shadow of Saddam Hussein, and how it empowered her to join the fight to help women across the globe, from scratch.