Indiana is cutting off enrollment in the Healthy Indiana Plan after the program reached this year’s funding limit.
When the federal government reauthorized HIP, the health insurance program for low-income Hoosiers, last year, it required Indiana to lower the income eligibility ceiling from 200-percent of poverty – about $47,000 a year for a family of four – to 100-percent – roughly $23,000 dollars a year.
The state pays for the program through the tobacco tax, limiting its size to a monthly average of 45,000 people.
Governor Mike Pence says he stands by his decision not to operate a state-run health insurance exchange under the Affordable Care Act.
Two federal appeals courts Tuesday ruled on cases involving insurance subsidies in the Affordable Care Act. A Washington D.C. circuit court ruled that the federal government cannot provide subsidies for more than four million Americans—including more than 100,000 Hoosiers-- who purchased insurance through federally-run healthcare exchanges.
Just a few hours later, an appeals court in Virginia ruled in favor of the Obama administration.
Despite tax revenues that struggled for much of the fiscal year, Indiana closes its book with a surplus of more than $100 million and reserves topping $2 billion. But Democrats say the state is hoarding money to make its bottom line look good.
Going into the final month of the fiscal year, Indiana was about $50 million short of expectations. But a strong June helped the state end the year about $13 million above projected levels.
Indiana will not recognize same sex marriages performed between a federal judge’s ruling striking down the state’s gay marriage ban and an appeals court order halting that decision.
Federal judge Richard Young ruled Indiana’s ban on same sex marriage unconstitutional in an order handed down late last month. Two days later, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a stay of that ruling, halting its effects.
Governor Mike Pence is offering little explanation about the pending departure of Family and Social Services Secretary Debra Minott.
In a statement released Monday, Minott said she would be transitioning out of her role within a month or two and would work with Governor Pence to ensure that transition is orderly.
In a separate statement, Pence simply thanked Minott for her service, while his office cited a desire to change direction at the agency as the reason for the move. A day later, Pence was saying the same thing.
Montgomery and Clinton Counties are among a list of nine Indiana counties whose appeal for federal winter weather funding have been approved.
Governor Mike Pence had asked federal administrators to reconsider the applications of about 30 counties that indicated the cold, snowy winter sapped their emergency preparedness budgets more than planned.